What inspires you to give back? Share your giving story and you might win a $10,000 dollar grant for Coastside Hope! #MyGivingStory is a #GivingTuesday social media storytelling contest sponsored by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
It’s easy! Just go to #MyGivingStory and submit your story. Then tell your friends to vote for it online – and tell us about it so we can ask people to vote, too! Every week in November, two stories will be selected at random for a $500 grant to your chosen organization. At the end of November, the top 30 stories will be judged for grants of up to $10,000 dollars!
Here are some tips from the organizers on writing a winning story:
- The ideal length of a written story is 500-600 words
- A polished, thoughtful, and complete narrative results in higher engagement and overall story success.
- The stories that were most popular and produced the highest levels of engagement were those that followed or were similar in structure to the five-part dramatic arc employed in Greek and Shakespearean drama – which contains five key components: the exposition (setting the stage), rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution.
- Adding an image to a written story substantially improved engagement.
- Photos of young children garnered the most attention, while images featuring only organizational branding or logos did not work well.
After you’ve submitted your story, don’t forget to contact email@example.com or 650-523-3519 so we can help promote it!